Section 30 of the Act specifies the functions of the PFMC which can be summarized as assisting the NFB in fulfilling the Objectives and Functions of the Papua New Guinea Forest Authority (PNGFA).
The PFMC consists of the following members:
- A senior officer of the Provincial Administration nominated by the Provincial Administration who shall be the Chairman;
- An officer of the National Forest Service nominated by the Managing Director, practically this would be the Area Manager for the Region;
- A representative of the Local Level Government from the affected LLG (s).
- A representative from the Civil Society
- Two persons representing the landowners of the province
The forest sector is rural-based covering vast forest land and as such, it can provide opportunities to improve employment opportunities, provide much-needed health and educational services and economic development. The PFMC plays an integral role in the decision-making process of the PNGFA.