CORE OBJECTIVES / FUNCTIONS
The management, development and protection of the nation’s resources and environment in such a way as to conserve and renew them as an asset for succeeding generations.
The maximization of Papua New Guinea participation in wise use and development of forest resources as a renewable asset.
The utilization of nation’s forest resource to achieve economic growth, employment creation and industrial, and increase downstream processing of forest resources.
National Plantation Development and Reforestation Strategy Objectives
- To create and manage timber under sustained yield principles,
- To promote land cover and protection of degraded land surfaces
- To develop and manage forest plantations on a commercially sustainable basis,
- To promote reforestation and afforestation as a means to maintain forest estate,
- To promote the establishment woodlots, agroforestry, community forestry, farm forestry, in rural and urban areas,
- Develop a rolling five-year national Reforestation & Afforestation Program
- Reforestation and afforestation for the highlands to address forest cover and timber requirements in the future
- Provincial and LLGs to be involved in reforestation and afforestation projects
- Land to be secured under Joint venture agreement, Lease-Lease back, and Land Lease Agreement.
Reforestation & Afforestation Key functions
- Lead and manage the coordination of plantation development for the purpose of revenue generation for PNG and landowners,
- Develop sustainable forest management plantations to meet PNG’s climate change commitment and the needs of future generation.
- Develop plantation procedures and processes to meet certification standards
KEY RESULTS AREAS AND PERFORMANCE MEASURES
|KEY RESULT AREAS||KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES|
|Increase in areas of forest plantations established||45,000 hectares of land identified and acquired annualy|
|Increase in areas of community forest extension activities||22 provincial nurseries and 89 district nurseries|
|Increase natural forest management areas||5,000 ha annually through natural regeneration|
|Improved management of the Wau/ Bulolo||Revenue agreement with PNGFP 330 ha planted annually 500,000 seedlings annually K7 - K9 million anually|
UPDATE ON PLANTATIONS
|Ulabo||1,500||Harvested, replanting in progress|
|Kuriva||1,400||Harvested, under 2nd rotation coppicing stratergy|
|Brown River||2,600||Harvested, under 2nd rotation coppicing strategy|
|Waghi||2,010.10||Promote salvaged operations with SME's|
|Lapegu||2,723.02||Promote salvaged operations with SME's|
|Madang NC||820||Partially harvested, to be rehabilitated|
|Keravat||110||Preservation for seed production|
|Kaut||300||2nd rotation replanting on-going|
|Ialibu||240||Planting on-going, commercial thinning for poles, treated at Kagamuga|
LOG EXPORT FROM MAJOR PLANTATIONS 2011 - 2021
|PLANTATIONS||AREA||VOLUME EXPORTED||STUMPAGE VALUE IN KINA|